Google search

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Volunteering experience: Teach India!

"Me Shaaret Marathi Sheekli…pan mala marati bolut yeat nahi"
“I learnt Marathi in school but I cannot really speak the language!”

Although Marati is the local language...not knowing Marathi has not hampered my progress in life…but if I did not know English…chances are that I would not be standing here as a part of Tata Consultancy services…giving a speech at the toastmasters club.

But Why am I standing here and telling you this?

Because I have spent the last few weekends with kids who are studying English in school but they don’t really understand and speak the language they are in the same position as me but unfortunately not knowing English will put them at a disadvantage. When these kids grow up and go out in the world to be employed chances are their pay package would half of their English speaking counter parts even though they would be as smart and knowledgeable.. I know its not fair but it’s the truth.

The Teach India Campaign launched by the Times of India group made me get in touch with these children and I got my change to try and make a difference! In the next few minutes… I am going to share my experiences as a part of a campaign I registered on the teach India web-site and my assignment was to teach Spoken English to Marati medium students. Well I can speak English but to teach spoken English...umm….I was not too sure how that was suppose to be done! Thank God they were planning on an orientation program;but the only thing they told us as a part of the orientation is that you will have two children.and you need to do is give them a conducive environment to speak English! There is no method use your instinct….teach the child like you would teach your own children your mother language!And I though to myself…what instinct!!!! I don’t think I have a instinct for teaching!! but what the hell…since I was here on a Saturday afternoon.I might as well go ahead with it.

Believe me it was a little scary to start off with. Although I am normally great at finding commonalities and making small talk with strangers but this was different I had to talk to the child for one hour!! And what would I find common with a 13 year old child from a completely different socio- economic background…..60 minutes….3,600 seconds…seemed like a very very long time. But I had to act confident I was the teacher after all the kids walked into the hall….and two little boys..Soheil and Rupesh came and sat with me.They were nervous and so was I it was difficult to decide who was more apprehensive we made small talk…what is your name…..where do you stay…which class are you in…..you know the basics… family…school… friends…10 minutes or 600 seconds would have passed…now what next….????One part of me was listing to their answers which by the way were in monosyllaals the other part was thinking what next to say should I talk about books? Nah! they would not read… suddenly though movies…..! everybody watches movies….and that would give me lot to talk about…after all there are so many bollywood movies and stars I though I have found the perfect topic to make conversation so I asked the boys which is your favorite movie.and Soheil promptly answered…"hum TV nahi dheekte"! There I was at a loss again! The kids started fidgeting on their chairs….and I was so uncomfortable I looking at my watch .. had 45 minutes more to go!!

Then an idea struck me and I told the kids will you show me your school…come lets go for a walk….and their eyes lit up! Wow here is a “teacher” who is taking them for a walk around school instead to sitting in class…and that is when I managed to break the ice! We walked around school….they showed me things….they told me what it was called in Marathi..I told them what it was in English…they repeated the English word….i repeated the Marathi word!! All of us learnt something…..and it was a wonderful experience!

That was session 1….I have had three subsequent Saturday afternoon sessions with them…and believe me each one has been extremely satisfying and challenging… and I can actually see the difference…it may not be very significant…but my kiddo’s have taken small baby steps in becoming more confident in attempting to talk in English…..the first session they were talking in monosyllables….now they are attempting to talk in sentences….the grammar may be all wrong….but slowly and surely they are getting better.. And there is so much for me to learn in the process…how to keep 13 year olds entertained and also teach them in the process requires a whole lot of creativity by itself!I don’t know if this “Teach India campaign” will actually make a major difference….or will it be just be a publicity stunt by the times group to win awards for the best campaign….but I know I done my little bit to help to change a childs life!

To conclude I would like to tell all you people sitting in the room..you may not be part of the Teach India Campaign”… but if you look around you…you will find many people you can teach….your servants kids…the TCS Maitri teaching programs….it is an effort…it is scary….but at the same time it is extremely satisfying and enriching!
This was a speech I gave at a speakers club(Toastmasters Club) at work! Though it would be nice to share it with everyone here!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not everyday we get opportunities like this, and i'm glad u have made efforts. I'm a Techie too, never had time for such activities, I usually preferred lazing around in my house .( U know how Monday thro Friday is in a office)
I wish i was part of TCS, who does all these social activities, But anyways thanks to TeachIndia's website designer's, I know of this initiative, I'm going to be a part of it too..

I'm from Chennai, Don't see much of teachIndia Activity in chennai, I hope i find some like hearted people and help grow this campaign.

Kunal

'S' said...

Hey Kunal!
Thanks for your comment....It feels nice to have someone read you post and leave a comment. I hope you find some intersting activities to do in Chennai! All the best!

Manju said...

It is good to see a blog post on Teach India. I'm from Bangalore chapter of Teach India, where I'm involved in teaching children from a government aided school.

The main reason for me to comment here is the need for networking amongst TeachIndia volunteers, wherein they can share their experiences which helps others to fine tune their own activities.

Visit my blog to get the touch of my experience...

http://teachindiadossier.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I actually came across that article you wrote as well. Quite interesting! for more discussion visit: www.ShareTermPapers.com

Unknown said...

There are children in the country, who are not even able to write their own names. Let’s all Stand Up against illiteracy in 2010.I am supporting this campaign & would like you to do the same. You can join the campaign on http://www.facebook.com/unmcampaignINDIA & http://twitter.com/unmcampaignIND

Unknown said...

hi!!! nice to read your experience on TOI. i am an engg student and am volunteering for the Delhi chapter and am teaching the classes now.Though my learners are frm the age group 18-32,yet afetr about 10 classes which in the beginning i found difficult ,I am now enjoying it and you know the best part. its when you realise that they have become more confident.

that was the moment for me when in my 7th class the group came and said themselves that they would like to give a presentation in front of whole class. You cant imagine how happy i was coz in the beginning i had seen that they couldnt even join 4 words together in english. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!Fluent english speaking institute

Acl Education said...

Thank you sharing information. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

Top English Speaking in Gurgaon | English Speaking Institute in Gurgaon | public speaking course in lucknow

personality Development Institute in lucknow | spoken English Coaching in Lucknow | Personality Development Institute in Gurgaon